Recently Reading

Monday 13 April 2015

girl interrupted susanna kaysen review not that kind of girl lena dunham review the cuckoos calling robert galbraith review Girl, Interrupted - Susanna Kaysen. Set in 1967, Girl, Interrupted is the memoir of Susanna Kaysen, an eighteen year old sent to a psychiatric facility to be treated for depression. Although not a particularly huge fan of the film that resulted from this autobiography, I found myself drawn to the story when I discovered it had originally been a book and, when I found it in a Brixton charity shop for £1.99, didn't hesitate to buy it. Insightful, interesting and, sometimes, uncomfortably close to home, Girl, Interrupted explores what it is to be 'crazy,' and what it is to try and break free of that stigma. If you're not yet convinced, this passage from the very first page should sway you: "It is easy to slip into a parallel universe. There are so many of them: worlds of the insane, the criminal, the crippled, the dying, perhaps of the dead as well. These worlds exist alongside this world and resemble it, but are not in it. My roommate Georgina came in swiftly and totally, during her junior year at Vassar. She was in a theater watching a movie when a tidal wave of blackness broke over her head. She knew she had gone crazy. She looked around the theater to see if it had happened to everyone, but all the other people were engrossed in the movie. She rushed out, because the darkness in the theater was too much when combined with the darkness in her head. And after that? I asked her. A lot of darkness, she said." It's honestly one of the best things I've ever read. I can't recommend it enough.

Not That Kind of Girl – Lena Dunham. I’m a big fan of all things Lena Dunham – Girls, Tiny Furniture, most of the nonsense she comes out with in interviews – and this book was no exception. Having received it as a gift from my Mum this Christmas (following a subtle text containing an image of said book, and the words ‘please buy me this’) I proceeded to spend the majority of my break reading up on Lena’s weird and wonderful adventures, many of which did something for me that many other reading materials have failed to do – they made me feel like it was OK to be a bit out of sync. Covering sex, work, relationships and everything inbetween, Dunham’s memoir is a work of art, and a must read for any young woman on the fast track to ‘what the hell is this life I’m living?’ My favourite chapter? ‘Platonic Bed Sharing: A Great Idea (For People Who Hate Themselves)’ – because who hasn’t indulged in a sexless snuggle with someone inappropriate?

The Cuckoo’s Calling – Robert Galbraith. It took me a long time to come around to reading this particular book, due to a burning fury directed at JKR for being so utterly un-feminist, and penning a story under a man’s name. Despite internal protests, when I actually gave this book a chance, I found it quite enjoyable. Following the adventures of a disgruntled detective and his far-too-eager assistant, The Cuckoo’s Calling is a murder mystery with an unpredictable ending. And despite a passage alluding to the aforementioned assistant receiving a call on the London underground (which is impossible, and so irritated me hugely) I enjoyed the story, and would recommend it to anyone looking for an easy read. Whilst not the best-written piece of literature out there, The Cuckoo’s Calling had it’s shining moments, as illustrated in a quote that stood out to me. Paraphrasing slightly: “Seven and a half million hearts were beating in close proximity, and many aching far worse than his" - I thought that was kind of beautiful.


Reading next: Misfit. Trainspotting. A Streetcar Named Desire.

Do you have any recommendations?

1 comments:

  1. I LOVED Not That Kind Of Girl! Lena Dunham is just a fantastic human being!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Smudgeness (old) © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger